Monday, March 26, 2012

Kale Chips

Wash and thoroughly dry a bunch of kale. This may take overnight wrapped in towels, plus a salad spinner. Tear or cut out the tough central rib. leave pieces about 2" or more, as they shrink up a lot, and you don't want tiny bits. In a large bowl, drizzle kale with 1-2 tsp. olive oil, 1/4 tsp salt or to taste, and whatever seasonings you like. I did lemon juice with cumin and coriander, and parmesan cheese. I have also used sriracha, just a few drops, like a squirt once around the bowl. Then massage the oil and seasonings into the kale until all is well coated. Spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet (I used silicone liners), and bake in a slow oven until dry and crispy, but not burned. I read lots of comments on the web about cooking, and decided that 350-400 was too hot, and resulted in brown, bitter edges. I settled on 225, convection, 22-26 minutes, rotating pans and racks. It must be kept in an airtight container, or it will absorb moisture and lose the crispy chipness. The calorie count is nill, and the nutrition is super high, so make some weekly. I used the smaller fresh bits in soup.
 




No comments: